Thursday, July 4, 2013

Finally learning digital painting

After dragging my feet on learning to paint for years, I'm finally buckling down and getting into it. 

I'm trying to get at least a bit closer to the guys who make things like this 
    
by Thom Tenery, check him out

Or this
Kekai kotaki... amazing







But as you can see from my own stuff, it's still a long long long way off.  I'm just now trying to get my brain around color relationships and pallet choices.  I'm happy to show you all the warts along the way, if just to hear that my stuff is slightly improving.



Also, for those noticing the stark visual change in JoyRiders, I AM shamelessly using it as a platform to practice my digital painting.  it may look a bit ugly for now, but I strongly believe it'll have amazing results down the road.


2 comments:

Lady Viridis said...

Definitely do some studies on color theory and relationships. You're using a lot of black/grey, which especially in portraits makes the end result look a bit zombieish. Even if the photo looks like there is black or grey shades, try using blues and purples instead.

I would also recommend painting from life at first, rather than photos or imagined scenes. The first hurdle of digital is learning to use the software/tools to your best advantage, which can be tricky. Digital often means thinking in layers which can be a difficult mental shift. If you're not confident of your colors/line/value, it's going to be even harder. Start simple-- grab a cube, a ball, etc, put it under a lamp and paint that digitally. Then move up to more difficult objects with texture and colors-- an apple, a pop can, a glass.

By looking at something real and not a photo, you will be forced to really look at and combine colors rather than trying to 'sample' colors with the eyedrop tool (which rarely looks good.) It will also give you a better handle on basic forms, colors, and lighting before you jump into something as complex as a human face/skin.

I recommend looking at James Gurney's book 'Color and Light'; it's an excellent resource on those topics. It is based mostly on traditional or real-media painting, but the knowledge is definitely applicable to digital as well.

Christie said...

This is fantastic!