Monday, May 21, 2012

MECAF MADNESS!!!

not my art, dont be shocked.
Well it's the day after MECAF (the Maine Comic Arts Festival) and after catching up on some sleep I have the time and energy to recap how the convention went.  

It was good. 
End of post.


But details!!! It was a wonderful convention with great folks hosting and attending.  It also had a great turn out of families and kids, making it a perfect debut for one of my few kid-friendly comics "The Book of Coloring."  You can see the cover design in the previous post.  I'd been keeping this idea relatively on the downlow, but here it is: it's a comic book that's also a coloring book, and the story is about coloring.

I had a sample book on display for people to add color to, which many did, from people who bought copies of their own to those that didn't, and both young AND older people.  Thanks to everyone that added a little something and here's a peek at what they made...

I can't take credit for these colors either, but the lines are all me.

It's a simple story but I'm really proud of the premise. So much so that I'm getting serious about copyrighting so it doesn't get dobleganged

Some of the older folks had more of an eye for my collaborative series "Doctor Atlantis" which I gave away previews for.  You can find more preview pages in the "pages" section in the upper right area of this blog.  You'll also find details on the nationwide diamond push in previous posts, but there was recently an amazing article by the esteemed Jen Vaughn about it that's worth reading.  I may be good with the pictures but she's great with the words as well (double-threat!!)

One of the other projects that I didn't promote but will be returning to over the summer is my currently under hiatus webcomic "JoyuRiders." This is more of a teen to adult series, probably less appropriate for "Book of Coloring"s target audience.  But if you like coming of age stories mixed in with airships, adventure and a bit of sheer insanity, check it out here


Also, though I tried not to spend all the money I made, I couldn't resist a few choice books from the amazingly skilled cartoonists there.  Maybe I'm supposed to check and see if I have permission to present their work online, but I've never known a cartoonist who didn't like free promotion (and it's just the covers.
such skills! grrrrr!
When you get a chance, check out their works:
Jerel Dye whose amazing flying machines inspires me to push my own work in my webcomic
Stephanie Yue whose work is envy-inducingly beautiful
Zack Giallongo who is also amazing AND has an upcoming fantasy graphic novel called Broxo will soon be on my comic shelf
Ellen Crenshaw who is way friendlier than she needs to be for someone so skilled.

Blurg! Well that's all for now.  I'm psyched to bite into my little pile of super amazing comics and reach out to some of the other toonies in the great northeast.  My blogging so far has been blah to middling, but I'll try to keep things more up to date over the summer.

Keep your eyes peeled! (but not literally... eww)
-Meff


1 comment:

Colin Tedford said...

Yeah, posting those covers is Fair Use.